• Kyser Clark

100 Days of Code - Day 25


After being in a rut for an hour last night, I made significant progress today with the 4 hours I had available to dedicate to Python. Using the workbook is helping me out a lot. First, I created the Hand and Chip classes, which keep track of the player's hand and chip data respectfully. The hand class can add cards from the deck to the hand and modify the total hand value depending on if Aces need to be high or low. The Chip class has methods that add bet winnings to the player's chip balance and a method that removes their bet amount if they lose the hand. Next, I created a betting function. This portion of my code took up the most time because it required a lot of testing and changing the Chip class many times to get it working correctly. After a lot of trial and error, I was able to get the bet function working flawlessly and update the chip class accordingly.


After this, I spent about an hour looking at ways to get the card printed on the screen in ASCII text instead of printing out "Ace of Spades, King of Hearts" for the player to read. After a few google searches, getting the ASCII versions of the cards to print out is a project in itself. I need to get the game working before I can consider making it look good on screen. This is not a requirement of the project, and after playing the instructor's final version of the game, I know mine will appeal more to the player. Even though making the game look better will take me longer, I want to share my work with others and be proud of it. There is still a lot of work to be done, but I made good progress. Tomorrow will be all about creating the rest of the game functions since all my classes are complete. At least until I find out, I did something wrong.


My Jupyter Notebook is attached:

Kyser Clark's Blackjack Day 4
.ipynb
Download IPYNB • 9KB

Total Time Dedicated to Python Learning = 64 hours


Image Source: Wallpapersafari

5 views

Related Posts

See All